Saturday, April 23, 2011

If the Shoe Fits

The most important thing to bring with you on any trip (after a credit card of course) is a comfortable pair of shoes. There are plenty of shoes on the market that cradle one's feet perfectly, providing plenty of support and traction but can one feel comfortable wearing them with a skirt? or a pair of dress slacks? Definitely not! So this idea of comfort must be expanded to include psychological comfort as well as physical.

Therein lies the problem. Assuming the other axiom of smart travel called "traveling light" one has to look for a single pair of shoes that will carry you through all the exigencies of your trip (most of which are unknown to you, not having done it before) without causing blisters to your feet or wounds to your psyche. In order to avoid further complication let's settle on the color black. It goes with everything.

Shopping for the right shoes was pretty much the first thing I did after applying for my passport.  It coincided with a trip to visit my sister in North Carolina.  In fact, the only thing Nita and I like better than shoe shopping together is playing Scrabble.  We did plenty of both! She took me to Off Broadway Shoes which apparently carries every shoe currently produced for retail sale.

Now the problem with shoe shopping with Nita is we wear the same size.  My feet are slightly wider to my disadvantage, but I am willing to pay a little more so it tends to even out. All the same we both love a good bargain. Upon entering the store we make a beeline to the clearance racks and immediately begin to scan. She scoops up a shoe and tries it on. It's a keeper. It's a totally cute sandal of the BOC brand. And it's only $7.00! Do you think I can find another one? No way. Bummer! Oh well, it wouldn't have worked for my trip but at that price it would have been great for the rest of the summer when I'm back home. Nothing to do but to shake it off and move on.

I turn to the stacks of regular priced shoes and begin scanning.  I'm looking for something black (as decided on earlier), no heel, classic lines, some cushion and arch support, not too bulky and accommodates a wide foot. I try on one candidate after another. No, that one pinches my toes. No, that one rubs my heel wrong. No, I can't even get this one on. On and on it goes for over an hour. Until finally my feet are feeling abused and I'm not sure I could even tell if a shoe did fit. But, there it is. Clarks brand, black leather, sleek looking Mary Jane style that definitely fits! So I buy them.

My friend Cassie kept asking me if I was wearing them yet.  I was waiting for the 6" of mud to dry up on our driveway but the way this year has gone I'm glad I took her advice and began wearing them around the house.  I went as far as to wear my old shoes through the mud and switch to my new ones in the car when I went places. So yes, Cassie, they will be well broken in before walking the streets of Rome.  They feel great on my feet but are not as supportive as an athletic shoe would be...but I have the security of knowing they look classy with my travel wardrobe and that's comforting!

3 comments:

  1. Aaah, the good times from February. I'm glad I got to be a part of Trip Prepping...of course, even without the trip to Rome we probaby still would have ended up shopping for shoes. Walk on, Mary Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! We will always shop for shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for your trip - and for me to get to read about it. Keep walking and blogging, baby! :) Sonja E.

    ReplyDelete