Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Simple Answers are Hard to Find

It was interesting to me to find out there is a dress code for this class. I didn't know this before but many major cathedrals have a dress code. A person is not allowed to enter unless they are covered down past their kneecaps and arms have to have at least short sleeves.  Our instructor has seen cathedral guards stoop down to knee level to make sure the rule is being kept.  A man in shorts must either not enter or buy a paper wrap provided for the purpose to fasten around  himself like a skirt. Because the weather will be "warm to hot" during our stay in Rome, we were encouraged to feel free to wear sleeveless tops while we're walking around the city, but to bring along a light wrap or sweater to cover ourselves before entering a cathedral. (Thus the need for extra space in my handbag...)

This is just fascinating to me.  I consider myself a modest person, although on several occasions I have been accused of dressing immodestly.  I will have to adjust what I wear toward more modest by putting on a sweater when I enter a cathedral only to have my sensibilities affronted by looking at artwork depicting nude people.  Because really, I am uncomfortable with public displays of nudity.  Am I a prude? And what is the thinking behind the dress code? Does someone really think my kneecaps will be distracting in the presence of the greatness of Michelangelo?

The word "prude" has come to be used as a derogatory term toward someone who is excessively concerned with propriety and modesty in both attire and behavior.  It originated from a word that meant "worthy and honorable woman."  But there were those who desired to appear more worthy and honorable than they really were and their affectations and haughty critical attitude became synonymous with prudery.

I hope to live up to the origins of the word and to truly be a worthy and honorable woman.  In that sense I would be honored to be a prude.  I need to guard against a haughty and judgemental attitude toward those whose sensibilities are different from mine, understanding that I may not live up to someone elses standards. I seek to be willing to accept correction with humility and offer grace toward others in the knowledge that there is a Judge of the whole earth and I am not He.

No comments:

Post a Comment