Sunday, May 22, 2011

I had esspresso for the first time yesterday. WOW! It is amazing! I hear that Cappuccino is very good too but I don't even know if I'll get that far.  I think I'm in love. haha.

In fact we have not had bad food since we've gotten here.  Every night we go to another little tiny restaurant with about 10 tables, max.  Every time the food comes it is amazingly flavorful.  I had a plate of grilled sausages and spinach last night.  I would not have ordered that normally but they said it was sausage and broccoli in the menu.  I was really disappointed when it arrived to see a pile of cooked greens next to my 2 little sausages.  But I have to say, it was delicious! I ate all my spinach. Not only was it good for me, I could enjoy it too!  The flavors all seem so well balanced that one can taste all the complexities of the sauces without being overwhelmed.

I have been walking an average of 5-7 hours a day since we've been here.  I consider it a miracle that I'm able to do that!  My feet get sore but my knees and hips have been doing fine.  I am really glad I have 2 pair of comfortable shoes --  my Born sandals and my Clark's mary janes.   My feet thank me for the chance to change shoes.  I usually wear one pair for the first part of the day and the other later after I soak them in cold water and massage them for awhile.

We have taken the bus a few times and the Metro which helps lessen the walking, but we don't see the city as well. And there's not the opportunity to step into a coffee shop or gelateria on a whim.  So as long as we can dog it out we'll be walking.

It has been really fun for me that the girls all accept me as one of them.  I feel like I'm just one of the group and back in college days.  But every once in a while I remember that no, I am no longer young -- usually when I'm huffing and puffing up the hill behind everyone else.

Today we went to the largest flea market in Europe at Porte Portese market.  It was a blast.  We managed to get there early enough to avoid most of the crowd and most of the heat.  Both were getting unbearable by the time we left.  We had fun looking at all the stuff and haggling with the merchants.  It was like the MN State Fair but without the food on a stick. There weren't any sno-cones either, which was a pity. I was hot and parched and would have bought one if I had seen one.

Then we walked along the Tiber River up to the basilica which has the "Boca de Veritas." It is said that if you stick your hand in its mouth and you are not a truthful person your fingers will be bitten off.  I am glad to report that I still have all my appendages!

So now it's time for siesta and putting my tired feet up to prepare for the evening outing. Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. What would we do without comfortable shoes!! I put a lot of miles(?) on my Clarks, Born and Dansko shoes while working at the library. They carried me through!

    I love reading your blog btw! :) Thanks for letting us share in your experiences.

    ReplyDelete